Travel to the Austrian Danube
Day 5 Aschach - Linz
(in 15 km.) Aschach: We drive back to the point where we left off the day before. We crossed the bridge of Aschach and from there move again cycling along the left bank of the river. Perhaps we were wrong to choose this route and it would have been better to move along the right bank of the Danube where it is possible to visit the Abbey of Wilhering. The fact is that the path of the left margin advances next to the river, without any shadow which shelter from the sun (today we are 38 degrees of temperature again) nor any attraction.
Donauweg - Danube bike path between Aschach and Ottensheim
(in 17 km.) Ottensheim:At the entrance of this village we found an ideal place to eat. A huge park (Rodlgelände), with huge trees under which rest in its shade, picnic tables, fountains, sinks and a large playground, including huge toboggans and zip lines. After lunch we cross the village, which highlights its castle and the cobbled square of the church, the "Rollfähre", the ferry using a steel cable stretched from one bank to another of the Danube and its hydroelectric plant.
(in 13 km) Pöstlingberg: On the right bank must travel by the road 129, where there is not bike lane nor roadside and in the left bank the bike path exists to Linz, but this is beside the busy highway. We decided to skip these 10 kilometers and we drive straight to Pöstlingberg, where is located the child attraction Grottenbahn consisting of a train-dragon flowing through the imaginary world of the land of the dwarves. On the lower floor there is a detailed replica of the main square on Linz (Hauptplatz) at scale 1: 7, from which depart several alleys in each of which various dioramas depict famous children´s stories.
Linz - Hauptplatz, Dreifaltigkeitssäule (Column of the Holy Trinity)
(in 4 km) Linz: We take a short walk through the historic center. We start by the main square Hauptplatz in the middle of which is Dreifaltigkeitssäule a white marble column of 20 meters high built in 1723 to remind people that died in the plague. In one corner opposite the Danube is the Alter Dom, old baroque cathedral built in the seventeenth century. We walked down the main street, Landstrasse, from which we saw the towers of the Ursulinenkirche. Arriving at the height of this church we turn by Bischofstraße and move until we reach the Neuer Dom.
Linz - Neuer Dom (New cathedral)
The New Cathedral of Linz, also known as the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception is a large church began in 1855. With 20,000 seats, the Cathedral is the largest church in Austria, but not the highest (with 135 meters is 2 meters lower than S.Stephen Vienna). Particularly highlights the stained glass windows of the cathedral. The most famous is the window of Linz, depicting the history of Linz. We completed the walk passing in front of Landhaus, the XVI century Renaissance palace headquarters of the provincial government.
At night our friends Didi and Julita take us to dinner at Mostbauer Hametner (a farm of must named Hametner), located on the outskirts of Linz, which has a restaurant licensed to serve products only made by them (Mostheurige).