Travel to the Austrian Danube
Day 12 Neuhaus - Munich - Weißenhorn
(in 161 km) Munich: We started the city tour from the outskirts. After passing in front of the Allianz Arena, we visited the BMW Welt. Designed by the architects of Coop Himmelblau for the BMW Group, construction began of the installation in 2003 and was completed in summer 2007. It is a mix of dealer, exhibition hall, conferences room, etc. It even has a restaurant and a testing area. In it you can see the latest models of the brand, both cars and motorcycles, and even some formula 1. During our visit was exposed one of the motorbikes of the movie Mission impossible 4. Next to the building is the factory and the BMW museum. The complex is also adjacent to the Munich Olympic Park.
Munich - BMW Welt
After the visit of BMW Welt, we go to the city center, trying to park the car next to Englischen Garten and start the walk from there. It's time to eat, so let's go straight to the Hofbräuhaus am Platzl. Its origins go back to 1589 when the Duke Guillermo V of Bavaria established it like supplier of Weissbier to the family Wittelsbach. The general public was admitted in 1828 by decree of King Louis I of Bavaria and in 1896 the beer factory was moved to Haidhausen. Being the center of the political and popular life of Munich in 1919, the Soviet Republic of Bavaria was proclaimed in its halls. Lenin was indeed one of his frequent visitors. The main hall has capacity for 1500 people and a smaller one that is located in the basement has capacity for 1000 people. It is estimated that about 35,000 people visit their salons a day. The brewery was completely destroyed during the 1944-45 bombings. In 1958, coinciding with the 800th anniversary of the founding of the city, the site was rebuilt.
Munich - Hofbräuhaus am Platzl
The New Town Hall (Neues Rathaus) is the building located on the Marienplatz. Designed by Georg von Hauberrisser (1841-1922) in neo-Gothic style, its construction extended from 1867 to 1908. The main facade is almost 100 meters long and 85 meters high at its highest point (the central tower). One of its main tourist attractions is the Glockenspiel (carillon) that sounds every day at 11:00 and 17:00 (also at 12:00 in summer)..It chimes and re-enacts two stories from the 16th century. It consists of 43 bells and 32 life-sized figures. Starts with the story of the marriage of the local Duke Wilhelm V. The second story is Schäfflertanz (the coopers' dance). The whole show lasts somewhere between 12 and 15 minutes long depending on which tune it plays that day. At the end of the show, a very small golden rooster chirps quietly three times, marking the end of the spectacle.
Munich - Neues Rathaus (New City Hall)
The Peterskirche, commonly known as "Alter Peter" , close to Marienplatz is the oldest church of the inner city. It was first built during the Romanesque period, and was the focus of the early monastic settlement in Munich before the city's official foundation in 1158. It has a 91 meters high tower and the interior is dominated by the high altar to which Erasmus Grasser contributed the figure of Saint Peter. Among other masterpieces of all periods are five Gothic paintings by Jan Polack and several altars by Ignaz Günther. Nearby St. Peter the Gothic hall-church Heiliggeistkirche (The Church of the Holy Spirit) was converted to baroque style from 1724 onwards and looks down upon the Viktualienmarkt, the most popular market of Munich.
Munich - Alter Peter (Peterskirche)
The Viktualienmarkt is a daily food market and a square. In an area covering 22,000 m2 (240,000 sq ft), 140 stalls and shops offer flowers, exotic fruit, game, poultry, spices, cheese, fish, juices and so on. Most stalls and shops are open during the official opening hours (Monday to Saturday 8 a.m. until 8 p.m.). The Viktualienmarkt developed from an original farmers' market to a popular market for gourmets. The Frauenkirche is the most famous building in the city centre and serves as the cathedral for the Archdiocese of Munich and Freising. It is a landmark and is considered a symbol of the Bavarian capital city. Although called "Münchner Dom" (Munich Cathedral) the church is always referred to as "Frauenkirche" by locals. The Frauenkirche was constructed from red brick in the late Gothic style within only 20 years.The building is designed very plainly, without rich Gothic ornaments. The structure measures 109 meters long and 40 meters wide. The two towers have a height of 99 meters.
Munich - Viktualienmarkt
We have to leave, so we can not visit either the Residenz palace or the Asam church. We returned passing by the Odeonplatz, located on the border between Altstadt-Lehel and Maxvorstadt. On the west side, which is set back from the line of the Ludwigstraße, are the building of the Odeon (1826–28) and the identical Palais Leuchtenberg (1817–21), both modelled on the Palazzo Farnese in Rome. On the east side is Klenze's Bazaar Building, including the Café Tambosi. Between the two buildings on the west side, an unnamed street leads to the Palais Ludwig Ferdinand (1825–26). Both this street and the Brienner Straße, which begins at the south end of the square, lead to the adjacent Wittelsbacherplatz, also designed by Klenze. We arrived at our car, parked next to Englischer Garten, designed in 1789, one of the largest urban parks in the world, crossed by the Eisbach, an artificial channel for sports, including surfing.
Munich - Frauenkirche (Munich Cathedral)
(in 135 km) Weißenhorn: We arrived at the hotel that we booked in this town.