Travel to Extremadura and Lisbon
Day 6 Lisbon - Evora - Olivenza - Badajoz (294 Km.)
(in 134 Km.) Evora: The historic center of Evora has over three hundred properties classified, 36 of them national monuments. UNESCO declared the city a World Heritage Site in 1986, which constitutes the best example of the golden age of Portuguese (XV-XVI century). The Roman temple of the late second century or early third century AD, is the best preserved of Portugal. It´ composed by a masonry platform, the ruins of a staircase and over a dozen granite columns with Corinthian capitals and entablature of marble. Believed to had been dedicated to the goddess Diana.
The cathedral was begun in 1186, twenty years after the reconquest, as evidenced by the strength of its roof and the battlemented towers that contrast with the later Gothic arches. It is the largest Portuguese cathedral, with three naves of unequal heights and seventy meters large. Highlights a picture of the Anunciaçáo and a Renaissance chapel attributed to Chanterène, of 1529. The main chapel, rebuilt in the eighteenth century by the German Ludwig Frederic, has four large windows and neoclassical columns. In the center is a Baroque altarpiece with good carving of the Virgin. The choir stalls, carved in oak and dating from the sixteenth century, are one of the best works of the Portuguese Renaissance. The pipe organ, also of oak, is considered the oldest in use in Europe. The Cathedral Museum is packed with treasures and relics among which a statue of the Virgin Mary whose midriff opens up into a triptych with nine biblic scenes.
(in 110 Km.) Olivenza: The layout of the medieval citadel, which in the early fourteenth century was rebuilt on the remains of the original Templar fortress, had four doors, two of which are now preserved in good condition, the known as St. Joseph or Alconchel and that of the angels or Holy Spirit. The primitive site consisted of fourteen towers, with walls three meters wide and a height of twelve. Within this citadel is the Alcazar, which was built by King Alfonso IV in 1334, popularly known today as "el castillo" (the castle) and that, in 1488, would be expanded their keep. At his feet is the Church of St. Mary of the Castle, built in 1584 by Andrés de Arenas, on an earlier church of the thirteenth century. Classical style, its interior contains samples of a late Renaissance, where three naves that divided the temple into four sections, covered with vaults, which are rested on beautiful Ionic columns.
The Palace of the Dukes of Cadaval has a original Manueline Gothic doorway of the original early sixteenth century. This doorway presents a beautiful arch formed with a double Baguette with fine moldings. The parish church of the Madeleine began its construction in 1510. The church is a masterpiece of Manueline Portuguese, with notable architectural structures. Three naves make up the temple with a beautiful ribbed cover resting on 8 columns twisted of granite of the most beautiful Manueline style. It has six altars and the main altar of the baroque style. Olivenza had three doors in the bastioned wall, built after the seventeenth century, and could be visited the known with the name of Calvary, which is padding marble and is facing towards the Ajuda bridge. The Convent of the Franciscans, founded in the early sixteenth century and located opposite Plaza Callao, only retains from its original structure the chapel. In the Convent of the Poor Clares built between 1556 and 1631 highlights its chapel, with a unique nave, and the marble doorway.
(in 12 Km.) Ajuda bridge: This is the international, beautiful and half-demolished Ajuda or Help Bridge, situated on the Guadiana river opposite the towns of Olivenza (Badajoz) and Elvas (Portugal), which carries more than 200 years left. It has 19 arches, about 325 meters in length, 15 meters of height and about 5 meters wide. In 1509, the Ajuda bridge was built by the Portuguese King Manuel I, to ensure its operability in Spanish territory. It was in 1709, during the War of Spanish Succession when it was destroyed.
(in 38 Km.) Badajoz: We arrived to sleep in the capital of the province and do a short walk around its walls and to see its Roman bridge.