Travel to Sardinia
Day 1 Porto Torres (32 Km)
(in 32 km) Porto Torres is an industrial city that has one of the largest ports in the island and receives ferries arriving from Marseille and Genoa. As host of the old Turris Libysonis (489 since 1441), still has many Roman remains. We started visiting the Roman bridge at the entrance of the city, on the river Fiume Turritano.
Porto Torres - Roman Ruins
There exist also the remains of a temple that was dedicated to Fortune, of thermae, of a basilica and an aqueduct. We can see some of this remains at Via Ponte Romano, next to the the Archeological museum. Near the harbour there is an aragonese tower. Our next step is visit the Basilica di San Gavino (Basilica of Saint Gabinus), a proto-Romanesque church and the largest Romanesque church in Sardinia. The church is located between two courtyards, known as atrio Comita and atrio Metropoli.
Porto Torres - Basilica of San Gavino
In the southern side is the main entrance, a 15th century portal in Catalan Gothic style. It is surmounted by a rounded arch supported by two columns, whose capitals have angels with coats of arms. The church has two apses, one on each shorter side of the rectangular plan. The exterior is decorated by blind columns and Lombard bands. The ceiling is covered with lead plates. The interior has a nave and two aisles separated by two series of rounded arches which are supported by twenty-two columns in gray marble and pink granite, and three pairs of cruciform pilasters. Most of the capitals are of Roman origin.
Porto Torres - Megalithic altar of Monte d´Accoddi
On the outskirts of Porto Torres, via the highway SS113, we visited the megalithic altar of Monte d´Accoddi. It is a tourist attraction but not too well known despite it is quite impressive. It is a structure dated to around 2700-2000 BC and discovered in 1954. It has been variously described as an altar, a temple or a step pyramid. It has a base of 27 m by 27 m and a height of 5.5 meters. On one side has a ramp up to the platform. On the right side of the ramp are two rounded stones that represent the Sun and Moon.