Travel to Slovenia
Day 7 Lasko - Ptuj - Lasko (136 Km.)
(in 68 Km.) Ptuj: It is one of the oldest cities in Slovenia. It dates from the Stone Age, but the city was the most prosperous of Roman times. The city of Poetovio was the center of the Legion XIII Gemina in Panonia. The name comes from the time of the emperor Trajan, who granted him the status of a city and named it Colonia Ulpia Traiana Poetovio. Towards the year 69 d. C., Emperor Vespasian was elected in Ptuj, and in fact the first written mention of the city comes from that same year. After the fall of the Roman Empire, Ptuj regained city rights in the 10th century.
Ptuj is the oldest Slovenian city and has the reputation of a museum city. The monuments of this city are witnesses of its ancient past with vestiges of the Roman period and the periods that preceded it. It has a castle (Ptujski Grad) of the ninth century that is on the banks of the river. Today the castle has collections of musical instruments, upholstery, weapons and other historical treasures. One of the most beautiful monuments in the center of the city is that of Orfeo, a Roman lapidary stone from the second century, as well as the Dominican Monastery and the Meronite Monastery. Ptuj is also known for its surrounding vineyards and for having an interesting cellar (Vinska Klet) from the 13th century that houses the oldest wine in Slovenia from 1917.
Ptuj - Mestni Stolp / Town Tower
Forming the city skyline from the Gothic period, the City Tower (Mestni Stolp) is the most prominent built in the city. In 1830 the chaplain Simon Povoden had a few small antique objects that he installed in the tower, thus forming the oldest Slovenian open-air museum named the Muzej Povodnov.
In front of its facade we have the monument of Orfeo (Orfejev spomenik). This marble tablet of five meters high is from the second century. It was erected in honor of the mayor of the city Marcus Valerius Verus. Its name comes from the images of the reliefs, that describe diverse scenes of the myth of Orfeo. In the Middle Ages Orfeo's monument also served as a pillory.
Ptuj - Cerkev sv. Jurija / Prevost´s Church of St George
Just behind the city tower is the Parish Church of St. George (Cerkev sv. Jurija). It was built on the eastern outskirts of the city and despite a few renovations has managed to retain its Gothic structure. Inside the church the choir benches are not only the most prominent part of the presbytery furniture, but also the oldest benches in Slovenia, from 1446. Under the choir stairs, in 1380 a Gothic wooden statue was erected. S. George, patron of the church and the city in general. From this point we ascend towards the hill of the castle.
Ptuj - Ptujski Grad / Ptuj castle
On hill where is the Castle (Ptujski Grad) there were settlements in prehistoric and Roman times and because of its strategic position also attracted the feudal lords of the Middle Ages. A castle was built in the tenth or eleventh century, which today survives a tower in the western esplanade. In the first half of the 12th century, after the castle succumbed to the passage of time, Archbishop Konrad of Salzburg, then the feudal lord of Ptuj, ordered the construction of a new castle, of which the impressive Leslijev wing still stands today. The reconstructions of the Renaissance and the Baroque periods left their mark on the castle. Today, the Ptuj Castle is a museum. On the ground floor visitors can inspect musical instruments used in the past by noble, wealthy citizens. The instruments reflect different faces of the musical past, and music recordings animate the exhibition. The most beautiful chambers of the castle are on the first floor. The exhibitions of furniture, tapestries, paintings and small daily objects present domestic furniture from the second half of the 16th century to the second half of the 19th century. The castle's art gallery has some of the most beautiful examples of Gothic and Baroque art in Slovenia.
Ptuj - Mestna hiša / Town Hall
The most notable building of the Mestni Trg is the Town Hall (Mestna hiša), built between 1906 and 1907. Designed by the Austrian architect Max Ferstl, its smooth flowing shapes give a special touch to the entire plaza. The building is the residence of the city government.
Located in the eastern corner of the old town we find the Minorite Monastery (Minoritski samostan), which was founded in the thirteenth century by the lords of Ptuj, although its current structure is Baroque. The monastery features a Gothic church, a library and a summer refectory with painted ceiling beams.
Ptuj - Minoritski samostan / Minorite Monastery
The Dominican monastery (Dominikanski samostan) dates back to 1226 and is now the headquarters of the Ptuj Museum's achaeological that houses exhibits that present a remarkable collection of Roman artifacts. The monastery is distinguished by its cross entrance hall, which comprised part of the eastern and southern wings. In the seventeenth century it was extended in baroque style, the monastery's dining room was also remodeled in the Baroque style, it was decorated with paintings and its vault was covered with stucco work. In 1926 it was bought by the municipality, and since 1928 it has become a city museum.
(in 68 Km.) Lasko: We go back to the hotel. Before dinner we went to relax at the SPA of this town, also known for hosting the headquarters of one of the best-known beers in the country: LASKO. Another of the best known beers is UNION.