Travel to Venice
Day 1 Venice (Saint Mark, Campo Santa Margherita, Gallerie dell´Accademia)
We started the journey on foot through the St Mark´s Square (Piazza San Marco). It is the only square in Venice and all others receive the designation of "Campo". The Piazza was initiated in the ninth century as a small area in front of the St Mark´s Basilica. Was extended to its current size and shape in 1177, when the Batario river, limiting it to the west, and a port that had isolated the Doge´s Palace Square, were flooded.
Venice - Piazza San Marco
The square is dominated by the Basilica, the Doge´s Palace and the Campanile of the Basilica, which stands next to him. Highlights in a side the Clock Tower (Torre dell´Orologio), with the sphere, the Virgin and Child flanked by Roman and Arabic figures, the lion of Saint Mark and above all, Mori (Moors). At the other side of the square we have the Caffè Florian, famous for being considered the first coffee in Europe.
Venice - St Mark´s Square
St. Mark´s Campanile (Campanile) is the bell tower of the St. Mark´s Basilica. The tower is in a corner of the St. Mark´s square, near the front of the Basilica. It has a total height of 98.6 meters. The main body of brick is a cuboid with a square base of 12 meters side and 50 meters high, on which sits a white tower with four arches per side, which houses five bells. The tower that is seen today is a reconstruction of 1912, when the tower was collapsed, although the original form of 1514 remained.
Venice - St Mark´s Basilica
The Basilica of St. Mark is the main Catholic church in the city and the masterpiece of Byzantine influence in the Veneto. Its construction began in 828 to save the body of St. Mark, brought from Alexandria. A law of the Venetian Republic imposed a tribute to the lucky merchants, after making profitable business, make a gift to beautify St. Mark. Hence the variety of styles and materials. St. Mark is a living museum of Byzantine art Latinized. The front has deep recesses of Western influence and columns decorated with gold mosaics of the twelfth century.
Venice - Piazzeta San Marco
The 4 Horses of St. Mark represent the state force. In the fifteenth century gables are added to the upper floor arches and capitals, through the influence of European Gothic. The outer shape of the domes does not match with the interior, look bigger than they really are. Was paid with the sacking of Constantinople. Behind the altar there is the golden shovel (pala d'Oro), the work of Byzantine and Venetian jewelry made between X and XIV centuries. This altarpiece was made with enamel inlaid in gold and silver frames adorned with jewels.
Venice - Campo Santo Stefano
The Fenice (the phoenix) is one of the most famous opera houses in the world. In 1774, the Teatro St. Benedetto, the most important opera house in Venice with over forty years of history, was destroyed by fire. The new theater was named La Fenice to honor the company´s resurgence from the ashes. On the way to Accademia Bridge, we walk through the Campo San Stefano, a bustling square with bars and restaurants where is the church of St. Stefano, rebuilt in the fourteenth century and modified in the XV century. The facade has a magnificent front in gothic style.
Venice - Gallerie dell´Accademia
The Accademia (Gallerie dell´Accademia) preserves masterpieces of Venetian painting until the eighteenth century, arranged chronologically but their exposure is sometimes treated by similar themes. The origins of the Academy dates back to 1750 when the Venetian Republic decided to give the city an "Academy of painters and sculptors". Gradually, between 1816 and 1856 the Accademia Gallery collections were enriched with Molin, Contarini, Renier and Manfrin collections, that endowed it with indisputable masterpieces of Italian art. Other works joined the museum from Austria after the Treaty of St. Germano, 1919.
Venice - Campo Santa Margherita
We finalize the visits of the day walking through the Campo Santa Margherita, located in the Dorsoduro district. It owes its name to the ancient church of Santa Margarita, located on the northeast corner of the square. Varoteri School (1725), or of tanners, which is presented as a building block in the center of the field, as a result of sedimentation of the river Scoazzera. The Scuola Grande dei Carmini, south-west of the field (where is the church of Carmen) is the most important artistic monument, containing paintings by Tiepolo.