Travel to Venice

Day 2 Venice (San Polo, Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari) - Barcelona

Venice


 

San Polo is the smallest of the six sestieri of Venice, with an area of thirty-five hectares along the Grand Canal. It is one of the oldest parts of the city, having settled before the ninth century, when it and San Marco were part of Realtina Islands. The sestiere gets its name from the Church of San Polo.

Venice - Gondola
Venice - Gondola

The Campo San Polo is the largest square in Venice after San Marco square. It was originally used for agriculture and grazing, until in 1493 was fully paved, placing a well (one of the few sources that are in Venice) in the center. It was subsequently used as the setting for many bullfights, masked balls and religious sermons. It remains to this day one of the most popular places in the carnival and also used for outdoor concerts and screenings during the film festival.

Venice - Campo San Polo
Venice - Campo San Polo

Campo San Toma is a small square near the Campo dei Frari. With rectangular shape, has a well in center. It´s a cozy corner, with several shops and restaurants to the north and south sides. We found two historical buildings in the east and west sides: the Chiesa di San Tomà, with a facade dating from 1742, and Scoletta dei Calegheri built in the late fifteenth century over the ruins of an old school of the fourteenth century the guild headquarters shoemakers.

Venice - Campo San Toma
Venice - Campo San Tomà

The Scuola Grande di San Rocco is located in Campo San Rocco. It was a fraternity formed in 1478 by Venetian citizens who became particularly prosperous in the early sixteenth century. It was created to assist citizens in times of plague. In 1564 members of the Scuola commissioned Tintoretto to decorate the walls and ceilings. He painted primarily those found in Sala dell´Albergo. Later are those of the lower hall.

Venice - Scuola grande di San Rocco
Venice - Scuola grande di San Rocco

In the same square is the Church of San Roque (Chiesa di San Rocco). Designed by Bartolomeo Bon the Younger, was built between 1478 and 1494. San Roque de Montpellier, whose relics rest in the church was declared a patron saint of the city in 1576. In 1725 it changed significantly. The current facade dates from 1765-1771. Therefore presented several architectural styles. The interior of the church features paintings by Tintoretto which can be seen in the presbytery with scenes from the life of San Roque.

Venice - Chiesa di San Rocco
Venice - Chiesa di San Rocco

The Basilica di Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari, often called simply the Frari, is one of the largest churches of Venice and has the status of minor basilica. Is in the Campo dei Frari in the heart of San Polo district. The bell tower (completed in 1396) is 83 meters and is the second highest in the city after San Marcos campanile. It is built of brick in the Italian Gothic style.

Venice - Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari
Venice - Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari

Inside are numerous masterpieces such as Titian´s Assumption of in the background of the central apse (1518), the ancient choir of the friars in the center of the church (1468), the Chapel Corner, of year 1420, the marble statue St. John the Baptist, made by Sansovino, the wooden statue of St. John the Baptist by Donatello, Giovanni Bellini´s triptych in the cappella in Pesaro, and the monument to Antonio Canova (1827) and Titian (1853).

Venice - Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari
Venice - Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari

We have the return flight from the airport of Treviso. To go to the airport we bought the bill of the Aerobus service (5 euros) of ATVO company that leaves from Piazzale Roma. The journey is about 75 minutes, also stopping at the train station in Mestre.


 

Previous | Venice menu


Venice