Travel to the Black Forest

Day 4 Maulbronn

(in 59 Km.) Maulbronn: Maulbronn Monastery (Kloster Maulbronn) is one of the best-preserved medieval Cistercian monastery complex in Europe. It is situated on the outskirts of Maulbronn and is separated from the town by a ring of fortifications.

Maulbronn Monastery

Maulbronn Monastery

Since 1993 the monastery is part of the Unesco World Heritage due to be considered the is the most complete survival of a Cistercian monastic establishment in Europe. The monastery was founded in 1147 under the auspices of the first Cistercian pope, Eugenius III. The main church, built in a style transitional from Romanesque to Gothic, was consecrated in 1178 by Arnold, Bishop of Speyer.

Maulbronn Monastery - Cloister

Maulbronn Monastery - Cloister

It entering the monastery for a large portal that opens on the annexes of the convent of medieval architecture. The courtyard of the monastery is surrounded by impressive buildings of administration and housing, towers and a wall of almost a kilometer long. Other buildings - infirmary, refectory, cellar, auditorium, forge, inn, cooperage, mill, chapel, ... - were built in the course of the 13th century. The other side of the cloister dating back to the fourteenth century, like most of the fortifications and the fountain.

Maulbronn Monastery - Stalls

Maulbronn Monastery - Stalls

The Romanesque monastery church, a basilica with three naves, is the oldest building in the place. Part of the furniture is stalls for 92 monks, made of oak and richly decorated. The nave of the church is separated in two by a stone balustrade, which forms the spiritual activity of the monks and the secular activity of the lay brothers. By the lateral nave, you enter the cloister.

Maulbronn Monastery - Chapter House (Brunnenkapelle)

Maulbronn Monastery - Chapter House (Brunnenkapelle)

The architectural jewel of the monastery is the chapel of the source (Brunnenkapelle) where monks came to wash their hands before meals and where they cut beard and tonsure. This source was located in the cloister, but not in the middle of the garden. It was in one of the laterals, separated from it. It was accessed directly from the corridor of the cloister.