Travel to the Black Forest

Day 7 Schiltach

(in 34 Km.) Schiltach: We parked in the parking located outside the historic center, and walk down the street Schenkenzeller Straße, where you can see the typical wooden buildings of the sixteenth century up to the Marktplatz. The whole medieval inner city is under monument protection. There are many half-timber houses scattered throughout the town that date back to anywhere between the 16th and 19th centuries.

Schiltach - Marktplatz (Market place)

Schiltach - Marktplatz (Market place)

The Marktplatz is the heart of Schiltach, and it has remained unchanged in this form since the last big town fire in 1791. The steep incline and the three-sided shape of the market place give a feeling of spaciousness. It includes the town hall, which was designed by architect Heinrich Schickhardt and built during the Kingdom of Württemberg and the Apothekenmuseum (Pharmacy Museum).

Schiltach - Marktplatz (Market place)

Schiltach - Marktplatz (Market place)

The "Kirchensäge" (church saw mill), or later to be known as Schüttersäge, was in operation from 1491 until 1931.The undershot water wheel has a diameter of 7.20m, the transmission assemblies and the canal system are protected under the Historical Protection Act. The Stadtbrunnen (town fountain) was mentioned as early as the 15th century and was restored in 1750. A sitting lion with emblem shield crowns the fountain. Today, there are many fairs and markets that take place around the fountain. Schiltach is part of the German Half-Timbered House Road tourist route.


(in 76 Km.) Loffenau: We come back to Loffenau.