Travel to Slovakia
Day 5 Spišský Štvrtok - Levoča - Spišský hrad - Spišská Kapitula (113 Km)
(in 19 Km) Spišský Štvrtok: At this village does not go unnoticed the church located on top of a hill to the right of the road. St. Ladislav´s church was built before the invading Tartars. After the destruction by the Tatars, was rebuilt in Romanesque style. In 1402 was built a new Gothic church nave, which was (1693-1747) repaired several times. From this period comes his baroque dome. The arc of the fourteenth century has Gothic elements. In 1668 the Earl built the early baroque monastery. Almost all the interior is baroque decoration, dated to the early eighteenth century, the high altar of St. Ladislaus, the altars of San Francisco and San Antonio de Padua, pulpit, baptismal font, and so on. Set of original Gothic Piety only kept the fourteenth century, which is in the presbytery of the church and the painting of the Virgin Mary in 1450. The tower is built in Romanesque-Gothic style and has a Romanesque window.
Spišský Štvrtok - San Ladislav
The most precious object is the family chapel Zapolskyde 1473, near the church, considered a masterpiece of Gothic art. The chapel has two floors. In the bottom of the chapel was the sarcophagus of the founder of the family. The neo-Gothic altar in the chapel is from the late nineteenth century and contains a Gothic painting of the Assumption of the Virgin Mary, painted on wood, from mid-fifteenth century. It was probably part of a larger Gothic altar, the author of the altar of the church in Turanach. Late Gothic, the Pieta of the sixteenth century was done by someone in the vicinity of Master Paul of Levoca. In the lower chapel is a Pieta, Baroque polychrome wood carving of the late eighteenth century.
Spišský Štvrtok - St. Ladislav - Zapolskys chapel
(in 13 Km) Levoča: The walls surround the historic city center. Have a length of 2.5 km. It consists of two sections between which there is a space called Zvinger. The walls were first built in the thirteenth century. The cage of shame (klietka Hanby) remains intact in the city´s Central Square, from sixteenth and seventeenth centuries, was used in the past for the public humiliation of offenders who were locked up in her the view all to general derision.
Levoča - City hall
The central square is surrounded by more than 50 bourgeois and patrician houses, many of which still bear the name of their former owners. Of particular interest is the house Thurzo, fifteenth-century neo-Renaissance that acquired his painted facade in 1904. The town hall and the tower, originally Gothic, received a renacentist changes in 1551, making him one of the most beautiful buildings of Levoča. Inside is the Spis Museum, where costumes and sets out various objects of the city in paneled rooms. The house of Master Paul of Levoča is a house on the east side of the square (number 20) where he lived and worked Master Paul. It is currently a museum.
Levoča - St. James Church
St. James Church is the largest Gothic church in Spiš region. Its construction began in mid-fourteenth century and out of small details are completed in the year 1400. Inside are 11 Gothic and Renaissance altars. The most surprising is the main altar with its wooden triptych: the tallest Gothic altar in the world, which measures 18.62 meters and was made of linden wood in the workshop of Master Paul early sixteenth century. Exquisite three-dimensional representations of the Last Supper and the Virgin (whose face appears in the SKK 100 bills) and Children decorate the structure.
(in 18 Km) Spiš castle: At 634 meters above sea level, on a limestone mountain that exceeds the surrounding terrain about 200 meters, lies the castle of Spiš (Spišský hrad). The castle is a witness to the development of architecture from the twelfth century and the eighteenth century. It is one of the largest castles in Central Europe (with an area of 41,426 m2). The castle along with the surrounding religious buildings (Spisská Kapitula) is registered since 1993 as a cultural heritage site by UNESCO. The castle crowns a hill above the city of Spišské Podhradie and the village of Zehra, in the region known as Spiš (Szepes).
The place which is the castle was inhabited since prehistoric times. Around the year 0 there was a building of the Puchov culture which was protected by mud walls and by its size can be assumed that already at that time was an administrative center of the whole region of Spiš. The castle was begun in the twelve century. In 1464 the king gave the castle to Štefan Zapolsky, who modernized the castle. The castle was destroyed by fire in 1780 and since then remained in ruins. For over 20 years the castle is being rebuilt. Few complete structures are preserved, including a cistern, a chapel and a rectangular Romanesque palace that houses the museum. In the dungeons you can see various torture instruments.
(in 7 Km) Spišská Kapitula: The convent of Spiš is an exceptionally well-preserved monastery located in Spišské Podhradie. The set includes medieval cathedral of St. Martin, a monastery and a street, all surrounded by a wall. The only road that runs between the two doors is flanked by charming medieval Gothic houses. The monastery became the first administration in the twelfth century church. In 1776 it became the headquarters of the Diocese of Spiš. At the top stands the magnificent Cathedral of San Martin (katedrál sv. Martin, 1273). It was built between the thirteenth and fifteenth century in Romanesque and Gothic architecture. Has a pair of twin towers and a Gothic sanctuary. Inside there are several impressive altars with Gothic triptychs painted in 15th century.
(in 56 Km) We come back to Gerlachov.