Travel to the Canal de Garonne
Day 5 Auvillar
(in 38 km.) Auvillar: Since 1994, Auvillar has been voted one of the "most beautiful villages in France" with its harbor area and outstanding monuments like the circular hall, the clock tower and the Church of St. Peter. Auvillar is a stop for tourists and pilgrims on the Santiago de Compostela pilgrimage route. We started our visit going under the clock tower (tour de l´horloge) from the seventeenth century, located over the door Arnaud Othon that gives way to the old town. The construction of the age of Louis XIV is stone and brick. The doors and windows are semicircular.
Auvillar - Tour de l´horloge (clock tower)
We continue along the rue de l'horloge up to the place de la Halle, beautiful cobbled square, triangular in shape, with arcades on the sides and half-timbered houses of the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries. In this square stands the circular Halle located just in the center. Although the building is relatively recent, in 1824, owes its originality to the circular shape of the plant and the Tuscan columns that hold up the roof. Built over a former Halle, has two holes for measuring grain units.
Auvillar - Halle
A few meters ahead, after passing in front of the tourist office, we arrived at the place du château, noted for its spectacular views over the Garonne. From this viewpoint, if we look to the left, is also seen Golfech nuclear power. we closed our walk advancing by the street St.Pierre up to the church of the same name.
Auvillar - Church of Saint-Pierre
Among the religious buildings, it should be noted the church of Saint Pierre (Saint Peter), former Benedictine priory and parish church. It was restored in the seventeenth and nineteenth centuries. It has a length of 43 meters. It has a Romanesque part and a Gothic vault. A treasure is preserved in the crypt of the church.