Travel to the Canal de Garonne
Day 5 Valance d´Agen - Agen
(in 6 km.) Valance d´Agen: After visiting Auvillar we move to the point where we finished the bike ride two days ago. The tour route today is about 28 kilometers. Stands a few kilometers from the starting point the nuclear power station in Golfech, with two cooling towers of 178.5 meters, the highest in Europe.
Golfech nuclear power station
We continue to advance and overcome the lock of Lamagistère, Laspeyres Bridge, the locks of Le Noble and St.Crhistophe, Lafox bridge, until the nautical harbor in Boé. At this point there is a playground where children are entertained while we load the bikes to cars. From here we gone to eat to our accommodation. We spend the afternoon visiting the center of Agen.
Canal de Garonne - Lamagistère
(in 28 km.) Agen: We started the tour of the city by the farest monument, the famous canal bridge of Agen (Pont-Canal). It is a bridge of 539 meters long that rests on 22 pillars, which allows vessels plying the side channel of the Garonne cross over the Garonne river. It was begun in 1839.
Pont-Canal d´Agen (canal bridge of Agen)
We enter into the old town passing just in front of the Église des Cordeliers, Gothic church of a single ship, better known as the Church of Saint-Hilaire, completed in 1348, which highlights the two statues of the façade (San Pedro and Moses) and the stained glass windows. In 1892 two towers were added, although one of them was shot down in 1963. A few meters ahead we find the ruins of the "Ancienne église Saint-Hilaire" the twelfth century, from which still remains the Tour des pénitents (Tower of penitents).
Agen - Eglise des Cordeliers (Church of the Cordeliers)
We advanced through the rue Grande Horloge, Place du Marché, Place des Laitiers and we enter the street Puits-du-Saumon to admire the beautiful facade of La Maison du Sénéchal, built in the fifteenth century in Florentine style. After going through a major pedestrian streets, the Boulevard de la République, we passed the Rue des Cornières characterized by the arches of their houses on both sides of the street.
Agen - St.Caprais (Agen Cathedral)
We arrived at the Cathedral of Saint-Caprais, built in the twelfth century. We arrived late and we can not see inside, but look at his beautiful Romanesque apse. We walked down the Boulevard du Président Carnot, which highlights the corner of the Place du Poids de la Ville, with Sentini and Molinier streets, where we see beautiful half-timbered houses. A little below highlights the Hôtel des Postes and in the 56th the house Pinêtre in Art Nouveau style.
Agen - Rue Beauville (Beauville street)
It makes us night and we can not enjoy the historic center. We returned passing the Gothic church of Notre-Dame du Bourg, built in bricks in the twelfth century, and Place du Dr. Esquirol, which highlight the buildings of the Mairie (town hall), the Musée des Beaux-Arts and the Théâtre Ducourneau. We finished going through the beautiful street Beauville and by the Église Notre-Dame des Jacobins.
We returned to our accommodation located on the outskirts of this city.